With Christmas fast approaching, we're obviously all getting very excited about it. There are so many things we love about the festive season, including the beautiful decorations, twinkling lights, presents, and of course, delectable gingerbread recipes.
In the true spirit of Christmas, we had some fun making these delicious gingerbread cupcakes.
Perfect for curling up on the sofa with a festive movie and warming cuppa, these tasty treats are easy to make and are so mouth-watering we can guarantee you won’t be able to stop at just the one!
Inspired by the wonderful recipe at The Baking Explorer, we can honestly say that we’ll be making these again VERY soon.
(For the cupcakes)
100g butter or baking spread
100g light brown sugar
115 golden syrup
35g black treacle
2 large eggs
200g self raising flour
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp mixed spice
(For the buttercream)
400g icing sugar
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ tsp ground ginger
½ tbsp milk (optional, if buttercream needs loosening)
(For the decorating, optional)
Gingerbread man fondant shapes
- Preheat the oven to 160°C fan/180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4, and line a cupcake tin with cupcake cases.
- Melt the butter, golden syrup, black treacle, and light brown sugar together on a low heat in a pan. Once all melted and combined, leave the mixture to cool for 10 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the milk and eggs.
- Gradually pour the butter and syrup mixture into the eggs, ensuring you whisk as you pour until everything is well combined.
- In a separate bowl, stir the self raising flour, ground ginger, and mixed spice together.
- Slowly pour the egg and butter mixture into the flour, whisking as you pour, until everything is fully combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the cupcake cases.
- Put them in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until they are golden brown. Alternatively, insert a skewer through the middle of the cupcake to determine if they are cooked. If it comes out clean, remove them from the tin and place on a cooling rack.
- For the buttercream, use an electric hand mixer to beat together the butter, icing sugar, ground ginger, and vanilla extract until smooth. Depending on the type of butter you choose to use, you may need to add a splash of milk to loosen up the mixture.
- Spread or pipe the buttercream onto the cupcakes. Then, if desired, add your decorations.
- Any leftovers can be kept fresh using our fantastic Bumble wraps and bags!! Consume within 2-3 days.
Order your Bumble Wrap beeswax bags and wraps today. We offer free UK mainland delivery on all orders over £30.00.