The winter season is very much here and we know this because it’s still freezing outside and we’re continuing to eat lots of delicious soup to keep ourselves warm and toasty.
In case you didn’t know, it’s National Homemade Soup Day today! So, we’re going to share one of our all-time favourite soup recipes to make a super hearty and delectable pot of rich tomato soup.
Credit for this recipe goes to Cookie + Kate.
Classic tomato soup is a firm favourite when you’re feeling poorly or if you just want a comforting meal on your lunch break. Of course, any leftovers from this beautiful recipe can be covered and saved for later with the help of our handy beeswax wraps.
Keep the germs out and the goodness in! Let’s get started.
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion
½ tsp fine sea salt
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 large can of whole tomatoes
2 cups of vegetable broth
1/2 cup cooked cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp brown sugar
Ground black pepper (to taste)
- In a soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat until it begins to simmer.
- Add in the onion and salt and cook, with occasional stirring. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes until the onions become tender and turn translucent.
- Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring regularly, for around 30 seconds.
- Next, add in the tomatoes and vegetable broth and stir to combine. Increase the heat from medium to high and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook for around 30 minutes, reducing the heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer.
- Remove from the heat and let the pot cool for a few minutes. Transfer the mixture to a blender but be careful not to fill past the maximum fill line. You can always blend the soup in batches if required.
- Add the beans, butter, sugar, and some black pepper. Fasten the lid securely and blend the soup until it resembles a smooth texture,
- Finally taste, and, if necessary, you may want to add more sugar, pepper, or salt depending on your preference.
- Serve and enjoy! Keep leftovers fresh and delicious for longer with our beeswax wraps.
Get your Bumble Wrap bags and beeswax wraps today. We offer free delivery on all UK mainland orders over £30.00.