What a great way to start the week… It’s Cinnamon Bun Day!
Today we spent the afternoon making and baking some easy and super delicious cinnamon buns in celebration of this amazing day. Pair with a freshly-brewed cup of Yorkshire tea and it’s a combination you won’t be able to deny yourself!
We took inspiration from the ‘Easy Cinnamon Swirls’ recipe over at Baking with Granny and came out with twelve mouth-watering cinnamon pastries that we can't wait to eat.
For the cinnamon swirls:
- 50g butter (at room temperature)
- 50g demerera sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 pack of ready roll puff pastry (375g)
- 1 free-range egg (beaten)
- Extra sugar for sprinkling
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- Few drops of warm water
- Ensure your oven is preheated to 180°c (160°c for fan assisted ovens or Gas Mark 3) and use greaseproof paper to line a baking tray.
- Mix together the butter, cinnamon, and sugar in a mixing bowl until all of the ingredients are fully combined.
- On a clear working surface, roll out the puff pastry and ensure it stays on the enclosed paper. You needn’t worry about uneven edges because these will be neatened off.
- Using a spoon, gently spread the cinnamon filling all over the pastry. Leave approximately a 1cm gap at the edge of one of the longest sides.
- Making use of the puff pastry’s enclosed paper, gently roll the pastry into swirls. Leave a 1cm gap to seal the swirls and lightly press them into place.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the pastry into sections of around 2cm thick and trim the ends of the pastry to keep each swirl neat and even. Next, place each cinnamon swirl onto the pre-lined baking tray, leaving a small gap between them for expansion while in the oven.
- Lightly coat each swirl with the beaten egg and sprinkle a small amount of sugar over the top of them. Allow them to rest for 20-30 minutes.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until you notice they are starting to go golden brown. While the swirls are baking, mix together the icing sugar and a little warm water in a bowl to create the icing to drizzle on top of the cinnamon swirls.
- Once the baking time is complete, remove the swirls from the oven and whilst still warm, drizzle them with the icing.
- Once cool, move the swirls to a wire rack to cool further, or tuck in!
If your appetite doesn’t allow for all twelve cinnamon swirls, simply wrap the rest up using a beeswax wrap or bag and save the rest for later.
Get yours now! We offer free delivery on all UK mainland orders over £30.00.